My lovely friend VictoryInTrouble has nominated me for the Mystery Blogger Award. As you can see in the top left sidebar, I don’t ‘do’ awards. However, once in a great while I will sort of play along. (This is because I love Vic!) What that means is I’ll only follow the rules I want to. So in this instance, I’m going to to tell the world three things about myself and answer Vic’s five questions. Rather than pass on the award, I’m nominating ALL of you! So anyone that want to take this award and run for it, you’re up…
Three things you may or may not know about me (or care):
- I love the theater. I have had season tickets to The Walnut Street Theater in Philadelphia for the past ten seasons. The Walnut is America’s oldest theater, founded in 1809. Shows at the Walnut have been attended by the likes of Thomas Jefferson and the Marquis de Lafayette. I also visit New York fairly regularly (it’s just 2 hours away) and see shows on Broadway as well.
- Like my character Maya, I bake bread. In fact I have an upcoming post about it. I’ve been baking my own bread for about fifteen years. I started with a bread maker and graduated little by little to making it by hand. The strong hands I’ve acquired in my years as a chiropractor have come in handy.
- The sketching I’ve been doing lately… I used to draw when I was younger. In fact both the writing and the art got left by the side of life’s road around the same time. Fool that I was. Anyway, my grandmother was an artist – painted in oil and watercolor. I had hoped I’d inherited a little of that talent. However, like the writing, the art was never encouraged … and here I am trying to dust off those rusty skills.
All right, now on to Vic’s questions:
- Where is the best place you’ve ever travelled to? This is a toss up. I’ve been to Ireland 4 times. I’ve become so familiar with it, it feels like home. At least the Galway area… But Paris is also one of my favorite places in the world. The food, the art, the history, the culture. Tres magnifique!
- What’s your favorite kind of cookie? Pepper cookies. They’re a Russian (or Eastern European) cookie – chocolate with cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper. I know that sounds weird but they’re amazing.
- Do you like turtlenecks? Nope, they make me feel claustrophobic. I’d sooner have a scoop or v-neck top and wind a scarf loosely if I get cold.
- Do you like to eat foods one at a time or do you mix foods on your fork? Both. Mashed potatoes are glue for anything else on my plate. Otherwise, you gotta keep ’em separated.
- In twenty years, if you look back, what’s the most important thing you want to have done with your life between now and then? I need to preface this so that it doesn’t come off sounding selfish. I don’t have children, I don’t have extended family. I have no one to raise or depend on me for their well being. I have friends that fill that need so don’t pity me too much! My wish in looking back from twenty years in the future is that I used that time to chase the dreams I put on hold for the first half of my life. So I will write, publish books, create art, explore my creativity in ways I may not have discovered yet. I don’t want to look back with regrets, regrets for not trying or for fearing failure. And maybe that’s the cool thing about getting older – not worrying so much about the results as the trying.
That’s it. Thank you Vic, for thinking of me and for being a great friend!