To accompany my novel in progress: Breaking Bread, welcome to Le Boulangerie.
I did not have time nor inclination to bake this week. The weather turned warm and it was all I could do to keep my head out of the clouds. So instead of a bread or baked dessert, I thought I’d share one of my favorite decadent smoothie recipes. Actually it’s not even that high in calories – 320 for a 16 oz glass. And it has some nutritional value as well. Smoothies come out best in high powered blenders like the Ninja, the Nutri-bullet or what I use: the Vita-mix. The older blenders tend to leave chunks in your drinks.
- 2 whole bananas cut into chunks and frozen overnight
- 8 ounces milk (or almond milk – I like for this recipe)
- 1/4 cup peanuts (or almonds, actually any nut of your choice)
- alternatively instead of whole nuts, use 2 tablespoons of peanut butter or other nut butter of choice
- 1 tablespoon cocoa (only adds 10 calories)
All ingredients go into the blender, blend on high until smooth. In the vitamin, it takes just about 30 seconds. I drink this as a breakfast smoothie and add in a little protein powder for some extra nutrition. But seriously it tastes like dessert! Enjoy!